Sunday, June 8, 2008

Sardis May 31st






For those of you who were unable to come to the annual daylily and perennial forum and sale at Wayne and Kathy Davis', you really missed out on a great time! Unfortuately, I had such a great time, I forgot to slather on the sunscreen and got burned to a crisp, but a great time was had by all. Joe discussed daylilies in general, including propagation and care, and I had the honor of discussing cottage gardening. At the end of the 'symposium', the Davis' awarded door prizes (daylilies, of course!), and then we were able to buy our favorite daylilies. May I add, that they are sold by the clump and not per fan for the low, low price range of $5-30, depending on the variety. What a steal! So, try not to miss next year's event!

While I was there, I was amazed at the size of the giant/lumber bamboo. Wayne informed us that it can get up to 60 feet in height! I was lucky enough to go home with one of the rhizomes. I took a few great pics, so I'll post them here. The first is a comparison of the very common 'golden bamboo', which is probably what most of us think of when we think 'bamboo', to the enormous giant bamboo. The second pic is my hand, used for size comparison, on one of the stalks. The third is just a really neat pic I got from the ground up. And, don't forget...bamboo is really a type of grass! -amanda



No comments: